Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Take That Off Ya Head!



What is it with Black women and weaves? It’s a phenomenon I could once relate to and understand, but I can’t any longer. I take that back – not all weaves, just bad weaves. I understand protecting your hair, or desiring the versatility of a weave; the ability to change color or length or volume or texture quickly and temporarily. I understand that sometimes it’s easier to deal with something “disposable” rather than your own hair.
What I mean by “bad” weave is one that is not only unflattering, but not fooling anyone either, and usually difficult to manage. The ones that are more of a distraction than an enhancement. I get that not every weave is intended to deceive what I’m talking about is that bundle of fiber clipped and plastered to a chick’s head that’s she’s calling a ponytail. I’m referencing that curly, matted mess I often see on the sub, where the jawn’s hair matches color of the seats. [Although to a lesser extent, I’m also talking about those gotdamned tara weaves, with or without the ponytail – I’m telling you now if I see another one of those red, blue, and platinum blonde abominations this summer – I’m snapping out on somebody.] Not hating at all, but sometimes I just want to tap these females on the shoulder and say “Sis, it’s not working.”

Many women claim they do this because they are having a bad hair day or it’s cheaper than getting their hair done or they don’t have time. Ok first off – just because it’s a weave, does not make your hair day better. It still looks a mess.
It’s not actually cheaper to get a weave, the cost of hair (including the reusable clip ons!), glue, and whatever the hell else, is comparable to just getting it washed and curled every two weeks, and getting a good scarf to wrap it at night.
You don’t have time? Braids! One day in the shop keeps you from having to do anything for 6 -8 weeks (yes, not the whole summer! sorry!)

For real for real, if you were really smart – you’d just go natural and skip the bullshit. You can keep your hair as short or long as you like it, save a shitload of money and time. I was a die hard in the salon every two weeks girl, and at $60 a pop, I was putting out over $3,000 a year. Do you know how many sneakers I could buy with that money!? That’s not ever including cuts, colors and whatever else I did to my hair. Now it takes me like 10 minutes at the most to get my hair together, and I spend maybe $200 a year on products – and I’m still flyer than most people.


photos via facebook

No comments: